ABOUT THIS PROJECT
Existing sections of Concession Project PATHE, section Maliakos – Kleidi (c.h. 240+300 – 473+840)
Detailed Design for the installation of Safety Barriers according to European Standard EN 1317
Final Design Stage: Detailed Design “good for construction” for VRS installation
Client: AEGEAN MOTORWAY S.A.
Date: 2014 – 2016
Work involves the replacement of existing barriers with certified Restraint Systems according to European Standard EN 1317, in already constructed sections of the Main Concession Project PATHE, section: Maliakos – Kleidi, total length 230km. A challenging project due to its construction particularities, because, the construction of the existing sections of the concession project PATHE in the section Maliakos – Kleidi was carried out from the early 90s to late 2000s, while the section of the old national road from Evangelismos to Skotina was constructed in the 1960s. The gradual construction of the project has resulted in numerous construction variations, depending on the period of construction of each subsection. Therefore, as opposed to designing a new project, where installation conditions for restraint systems may be factually determined, in this specific design we had to follow the reverse procedure, i.e. it was necessary first to investigate the installation conditions and then to propose simple and functional solutions, i.e. it was necessary first to investigate the installation conditions and then to propose simple and functional solutions. Despite the construction particularities and difficulties of the project, satisfactory solutions were achieved in accordance with state of the art practice, by taking into account the harmonized Standard EN 1317.
• Development of customized solutions on the basis of existing particularities and maintenance, road safety as well functionality requirements at
– the central reserve sections where cast in place concrete barriers exist,
– connection points of Crash Cushions in order to enable the absorption of tensile load on impact,
– connection points of Crash Cushions with toll station islands, taking into account the islands geometry and the location of gullies and
– northern access of Katerini tunnel to Athens.
• Classification of connections between crash cushions and toll islands in order to organize and systemize the maintenance in a simple and effective way.
• Definition of VRS’ performance classes and installation lengths.
• 1rst stage of design implementation – Replacement of existing barriers at MMS gantries with certified Restraint Systems.
• Identification of areas where works have to be performed prior to installation of certified systems.
• Layout drawings, Reports and Bill of Quantities (BoQ).
• Description of finally selected systems – installation manuals – certificates acc. to EN 1317 – list of vendors/suppliers.
• Transition between existing safety barriers and certified systems.
• Study results incorporation into AMSA’s GIS.